You will be asked to register at the reception desk and place your bags and purses in a locker or your vehicle.
First Time Visitors will be given a brief tour of the facility upon arrival. The Collection is focused on Sumner County and Middle Tennessee. All statewide Tennessee census indexes and many other statewide books are in the collection. There are books and microfilms on surrounding counties and some surrounding states with an emphasis on North Carolina and Virginia. A good starting point is to locate your family in the published census books at the Index Counter where other helpful resource materials are kept.
Research Assistance offered by Archives employees will direct you in locating materials and microfilm set up. The Archives reserves the right to schedule appointments when large volumes of materials are requested for viewing. Please note there is no every name index or database for us to search. Each type of document (deeds, loose lawsuits, wills, etc.) has its own index. You will need to search each individual index for your ancestor.
Parking all day is free. The Archives shares its parking lot with the Sumner County Administrative Building.
- All cases, boxes, purses and bags must be kept in your vehicle or one of the provided lockers.
- Use pencils only. No ink pens or highlighters permitted. Do not use cameras of any type. Please no cell phone use or food or drink in the research area.
- Leave all Archives books and file folders at the end of the table or on shelving cart when you are finished. Please do not re-shelve books or microfilm.
- Rates for copies are posted (microfilm $0.25 per page, photo copy $0.25 per page)
- All requests for records must be made by 4:00 p.m. Please pay for copies by 4:15 pm. The copy machine will be shut down at 4:20 p.m.